Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Topsy Turvy Mummy Cake


I don't know what it is about Halloween, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite food holidays. It is not necessarily the meals associated with Halloween that I love, but as an aspiring pastry chef, the treats and sweets that come along with this holiday are just so much fun. Pumpkins, ghosts, witches, mummies, bats, and monsters, with these creatures the possibilities for fun desserts, spooky to silly, are endless.

Since I no longer let myself buy five bags of Halloween candy (I have no trick or treaters and therefore would just eat it all myself) I like to make something from scratch to fill the void left by the lack of bite-sized butterfingers.

After last Halloween's very popular, and delicious, ghost and pumpkin cake pops, I wanted to have a little fun again this October. My cake decoration class's topsy turvy cake assignment was the perfect vehicle for a whimsical Halloween treat.


Topsy turvy cakes aren't as hard as they look, and didn't take very much longer than a regular cake.   There is a great tutorial on how to carve and frost a topsy turvy cake over here at My Sweet and Saucy. I cut, frosted, and then covered the tiers in fondant, and then used a gauze patterned rolling pin on strips of fondant and arranged them randomly all over the cake.


The bats are cut from black gum paste with wires put in before they were dry. We used purchased cake, but I would go for a more appropriate cake flavor such as pumpkin, gingerbread, or even a spooky red or black velvet.

Here are some great cake recipes that would be perfect for this type of cake:

Gingerbread Cake
Black Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake
Pumpkin Cake

I hope your Halloween is a little spooky, a little silly, and a lot delicious.

3 comments:

Rian said...

MMMM...bite-sized Butterfingers. After I read that I couldn't really concentrate on anything else. Just kidding - VERY cute cake! :)

Heather Baird said...

Oh my goodness, Bria! Your cake is amazing! You are right, our ideas are so similar, but your bandage cake puts my Battenburg to shame! So perfectly executed!

Bria said...

Rian - I didn't have a SINGLE butterfinger this halloween...I can barely believe it myself. See you in a few weeks!

Heather - thats so nice of you to say (a HUGE lie, but nice anyway :-) also, your quake cake you put up the other day is pure awesome.

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails